Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Sketchbook review: Sketchbook Journey

Sketchbook: Sketchbook Journey
Artist: Mack
Link: http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5242


It never ceases to amaze me  the abundance of talent across the Internet. Mack has not only one of the most varied and largest sketchbook I have seen but it is also one of the best. There are a multitude of styles and subjects here so you are bound to find something you like here.

Gun concepts.

From page one you are treated with professional level concept art. The presentation is slick and appealing giving you both a sense of the design options and how the fully rendered version would look like. I have yet to see another sketchbook pull this off to this level.

Another impressive feature in this sketchbook are the storyboards. They are crisp and detailed. Movements are readable, not only that but they give a great sense of atmosphere. All this with using only a monochrome style.

Example of Mack's storyboards.

Even Mack's sketches and life studies look unique. By simply using a beige colour pallet Mack produces an eye catching style for his studies. The shoes have a great depth to them that I don't think could be achieved with just black and white.


There are a few 3D models in the sketchbook. Again I am extremely impressed with the presentations. Not only do the models look great but by simply drawing a person next to the model we instantly get a sense of scale. The 3D creatures are imaginative and eye catching.

The only thing I would like to see in this sketchbook would be some youtube videos. I feel some quick speed drawing sessions would be very popular. I feel this sketchbook is better than some of the art book I have.


Picking a favourite piece was a challenge but I feel the image above is a great representation of Mack's skills. The character concept looks great but like all of Mack's pieces there is a presentational flair that I have not seen in any other sketchbook. Do not miss this sketchbook.

Follow ArtFreck


No comments:

Post a Comment